Got FAFSA? It's FAFSA Time Again!
- Be sure your family knows you’ll need their Tax Return & W-2, Social Security Statement, or budget letter as soon as possible.
- If you (the student) made more than $6,200 during 2015, you must file taxes (The 1040EZ is EZ to complete!)
- If your family is filing taxes late, simply go into your “old” 2015-2016 FAFSA before the middle of February and enter the same amounts into the new 2016-2017 FAFSA as estimates—you MUST remember to update later when your family’s 2015 taxes are complete. If you are away at college, as soon as your family’s taxes or other records are complete make arrangements to get a copy so you can do FAFSA. (Be sure you have permission to use your parent’s PIN.)
- You will need to create an FSA ID for you and a parent / guardian. This is similar to, but different from the old FAFSA Pin.
- If you have difficulty, go to the financial aid office at your college; they will help you. The FAFSA Hotline provides excellent help and can be reached at night and on Saturday. Or you can contact the SLJ College Office for help! (Email Ms. Levy-Moldovan at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ms. LaCavalla at email@example.com)
****Recreation Director at the Department of Corrections. SLJ Class of 2009 grad Shantrese Fuller is the supervisor!
****High School Mentor. Breakthrough New York is looking for college students to serve as mentors during the school year!
*****Internship at KaChing. Bonus -- the intern gets to work with Ms. Smith!!
Competitive Scholarships that provide support specifically for college students who are planning on attending graduate school and who are committed in some way to a career in public service: Truman, Marshall, Rhodes, Soros, and Rotary Scholarships. It's never too soon to start preparing for these!
Bronx Opportunity Network Summer Scholarship at Grace Outreach - $1000 scholarship, weekly metrocard, and 5 week program in summer 2016 and support through the 2016-17 academic year!
Opportunities for students at CUNY
#CUNYCodes Portfolio Development Program
Are you a graduating CUNY senior or recent grad looking for more hands-on programming experience? Need to start building a professional portfolio for your job search? Then apply to #CUNYCodes, an applied coding and software development program for graduating seniors and recent CUNY grads with academic backgrounds in computer science, IT, and CIS. #CUNYCodes participants spend 10 weeks working with a Developer Mentor- who is also an industry veteran- to build and deploy a real-world, programming projects. These projects can be included in your professional portfolio and demonstrate to future employers the strength of your software development and programming skills. Ready to show the world what you can do? Then apply to #CUNYCodes.
Students of color and women are encouraged to apply.
TIAA-CREF Summer 2016 Tech Internships (Paid)
Attention College Juniors! Applications are now open for TIAA-CREF’s Summer 2016 Internships. With internship tracks in information security, business analysis, infrastructure, and software development, TIAA-CREF’s summer interns will have the opportunity to work on an exciting mix of assignments and projects that help drive the business of a top-tier financial services company. Additionally, successful summer interns may be offered a full time, post-graduation position in their highly competitive Technical Associate program. Must be a current college junior to apply. Click here to apply to TIAA-CREF’s summer tech internships.